[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Feb 8 02:32:00 GMT 2006

Scott Merrill wrote:
> I can see this developing somewhat akin to the Debian maintainer
> process.  The Debian maintainers apply patches and modify projects in
> ways to ensure compliance and compatibility with the Debian core.  They
> submit patches upstream, and upgrade their managed versions as needed.
>
> What's being proposed is not an easy undertaking.  Plugin maintainership
> will require _a lot_ of time initially, due to code reviews and testing.
> It'll require more time as plugins evolve, and the code needs to be
> re-reviewed.  Bug reports from users will need to be sent upstream, etc etc.
>
> I agree that the notification of problems resulting from core changes is
> a huge benefit.  I'd like to see these core changes announced somewhere
> other than just trac tickets, so that the fringe developers can still
> benefit from the information.

Yes, changes that we know will affect plugins should be announced.  Of
course, most of the incompatibilities we don't know about until a plugin
breaks.

After announcing, attentive plugin authors will have the opportunity to
add compatibility to their plugins.  Plugins that are not fixed by the
author after a certain time will be fixed by a gardener prior to release
so that the user isn't left with broken bits.

Ryan