[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 15:09:27 GMT 2006

On 2/6/06, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> Evan Broder wrote:
> > I would expect that, if people don't already have their plugins
> > currently hosted on wp-plugins.org, they aren't going to be easily
> > convinced to move them.
>  >
> > I have a plugin that I host in my own webspace. It's a bit of a hassle
> > when I release a new version, but wp-plugins.org is way overkill for my
> > development setup. The wiki and Subversion are really overkill for what
> > I need.
>
> If a plugin author doesn't want to use wp-plugins, that's his choice.
> Plugins not in the wp-plugins repository simply won't get the developer
> attention that plugins that do reside in wp-plugin will get.  If they
> break, they'll be left broken. I haven't the time or the inclination to
> chase plugins hither, thither, and yon.  It's the linux kernel approach.
>   If it's not in the tree, it is on its own.
>
> Those plugins in the wp-plugins tree will get some extra love.  We'll
> write automation that will run over the entire repository looking for
> common mistakes and deprecated usage, for example.  We'll commit fixes
> and try to keep the plugins up-to-date.  It's a big task that is
> thoroughly impractical without a common repository.
>
> I'd like to have a group of plugin gardeners with full commit access to
> wp-plugins.

I second this idea:
Plugin gardeners or Electricians/Plumbers should:
1) Test existing plugins for compliance,security and coding style
(Someone should write up a checklist or testing regimen)
2) Accept and commit new submissions
3) Guide (hand-hold) new plugin authors who want to be at wp-plugins.org
4) Maintain other authors' plugins in case the original plugin author
does not want to deal with using SVN and including his/her plugin in
the wp-plugins.org website, but still wouldn't mind his/her plugin
being uploaded there by a maintainer.

Maybe we should start with a small group and then grow if and when neccessary.

I think the one thing we know for sure is saying "plugins are not
supported" or even thinking  that way reflects poorly vis-a-vis
user-experience as also the users' perception of WP.

Carthik.
> Ryan

Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida