[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Jon Abad jonabad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:00:49 GMT 2006

So far this sounds like it would be some sort of logo certification program?
I don't agree with that direction as it would require more manpower and
would distract from the central mission of creating awesomeness. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

As I understand it, the FF model is that the extension states which
versions they work with and then Firefox knows which are allowed to be
turned on or not in order to prevent catastrophic failures or some such.
The package can be opened and the max-version number upped to test with
a new release but for the everyday user, they just wait for a new
extension version to be announced.

At minimum, this sounds like it would be useful to us: add a
WP-Version-Range line to the Plugin file structure so that people know
which versions the plugin has been tested on. Maybe an alert could be
given if the plugin hasn't been tested on the current version or simply
not allow for the plugin to be turned on at all.

Pro: WP would know which plugins are compatible with its stated
capabilities, hooks, etc.
Con: Support costs of the initial wave as plugins get tested and this
new line added to it.
Con: How would old/abandoned plugins be dealt with? (Is this even a
concern?)

Jon