[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Vogel, Andrew (vogelap) VOGELAP at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Mon Feb 6 20:22:59 GMT 2006

One of the ways to make it simpler from the very start would be to make
it so the admin didn't need to disable plugins, delete WP files, upload
new WP files, and enable plugins on an upgrade. Maybe this is through a
master script that does it all behind the scenes, or maybe it is by some
other route.

When 2.0.1 was released, I attempted to upgraded my site which is
happily running 2.0 (www.drewvogel.com) to 2.0.1 and encountered
significant problems in the upgrade process that left me with a
non-functioning site and sent me scrambling back to 2.0.0 until I've got
time to get into it. Upgrades and installs should be drop-ins; the user
shouldn't be bothered by issues like disabling/enabling plugins through
an upgrade.

-andrew vogel
Manager of Professional Programs
University of Cincinnati