[wp-hackers] Atom mime type & browsers

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:11:14 GMT 2006

[this was prompted by discussion on Apple's list, but I think the
forwarded material is worth placing in the wp-dev archives for future
ref]

I asked about workarounds for displaying Atom in browsers that didn't
recognise the media type. Basically Atom feeds SHOULD be served up
with "application/atom+xml".

There was quite a bit of back-and-forth on whether or not
"application/xml" was an acceptable substitute ("text/xml" was soundly
rejected). The thread starts here:
http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg17802.html

The following contains a fairly comprehensive approach: