[wp-hackers] Extending query_posts?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 01:13:53 GMT 2006

If you are trying to do anything like CG-SameCat, the approach I used was to
not use random in the select, but select posts (well, post ID and title
really...) where the category matches, ordered by post ID (or date)
descending, and limit of some factor time the number of random items asked
for... Thus, you want say three random, but recent, related posts -- so grab
the last 10 or 20 and then use PHP to pick a random few from the set.  Just
a thought.

Completely random from entire posts table != completely random from recent
posts in matching category... ;)

-d