[wp-hackers] Spam load

C. Rummel rummel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 09:54:39 GMT 2006

Oh, yes, absolutely. My site got hammered by requests to
wp-comments-post.php every few seconds. All requests had a UserAgent
of "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon)"
and so many different IP-addresses it obviously was caused by a bot
net.

I switched from SpamKarma to Akismet, renamed wp-comments-post.php and
denied all requests to the old wp-comments-post.php - which obviously
didn't scare away manually submitted commentspam, but relieved the
server from a lot of PHP-work.

Today not a single Maxthon-UserAgent so far.

Chris