[wp-hackers] 5 minutes to a faster blog

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Sat Dec 2 06:25:21 GMT 2006

> Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:54:15 -0500
> From: "Doug Stewart" <zamoose at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] 5 minutes to a faster blog
> To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
>
> Which is precisely ignoring my core point.  Movable Type setups on
> shared hosting have at least a good shot at surviving a good digging -
> WordPress setups, not so much.

What MT gets you performance-wise with static pages it steals back in
comment/trackback handling, where every call is an expensive CGI
request. Not a big deal for the average blog, but try hosting a super-
popular MT site that's very high on the spam radar and it's a
constant issue. Every spam-fighting technique available requires  at
least a minimum CGI exertion. Multiplied by thousands per hour, the
performance hit can be huge, even disastrous. Which is why some hosts
ban MT installations altogether. Arguments that MT's static pages
offer performance benefits don't hold water in practice.

- Scot (who just moved such a site from a shared to a dedicated
server after dealing with this problem for years).

--
 >>> Birdhouse Hosting <<<
Custom web and mail hosting services
http://hosting.birdhouse.org