[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress' Performance WAS Changing MySQL minimum version

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 09:03:50 GMT 2006

On Fri, December 1, 2006 8:57 am, Computer Guru wrote:
>> While there are some field names that bug me, like ID vs post_id,
>> besides that I don't think there is anything fundamentally I would
>> change in WP's schema (from 2.1) to make it faster or more "efficient."
>> Some folks from MySQL donated some time to review WP and their
>> improvements are in 2.1.
>>
>> Did you have anything specific in mind?
>>

> Nope. I'm no DB expert, and I do know that 2.1 is heavily improved. I just
> thought there might be some people that had ideas. I had no idea MySQL
> OK'd
> our DB structure.. that's awesome :)
>
> So it's just the hard-to-fix stuff now.. :(

Indeed.

I suspect with the db improvements made in 2.1 the best port or call for
improving the performance (without using a caching plugin) is to look at
reducing the number of times all the heavy filters are run - run on
publish and store the prefiltered content in the db (for example the posts
table has a post_content_filtered field already there for this type of
work)

This won't be a small amount of work - it would be interesting to see what
improvement it did make.

This is of course work for 2.2 or later...

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk