[wp-hackers] Patch to allow nested comments

Sam Angove sam at rephrase.net
Wed Aug 30 09:41:44 GMT 2006

On 8/28/06, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:

> It's there so there is a standard way of marking comment
> relationships.  That way, if one "threaded comments" plugin falls
> into disrepair, you can just use another one, and your comment
> relationships will need no conversion.  I seriously doubt there are
> any plans on putting it into core.

You mean `comment_parent`, right?

The old hack for threaded comments in WordPress 0.x used a
`comment_reply_ID` field, which got picked up by the "Brian's Threaded
Comments" plugin. The comments table is altered to add the field if
it's not found. All the other threaded comments plugins I've looked at
seem to be based on Brian's, so they use `comment_reply_ID` too.

Hooray for standards! :)