[wp-hackers] AJAX and responsiveness

Nathan White changereality at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 13:39:19 GMT 2006

> The good news is that there's three ways to provide a satisfactory user
> experience:  (1) Make the operation fast enough that it's effectively
> instantaneous, (2) take as long as you like to complete the operation but
> present user feedback (hourglass, non-determinate progress bar)
> instantaneously, and (3) update the view instantaneously but complete the
> operation asynchonously.

Sorry I am a little slow to responding to this thread. I think these 3 steps
are neccessary for a good user experience.

I think the way to get the best of both worlds is:
1.) AJAX delegator register each event by assigning a unique id to each AJAX
event.
2.) Have a default timeout for the delegator so if the callback has not
happened in this time period throw a message to the user.
3.) If the server throws an error throw the same error.

This could be taken farther, by having a rollback feature assigned with each
event that clones the effected nodes and if the error is called the cloned
items are replaced. However this would require changing how all AJAX methods
are updated currently and is probably overkill for Wordpress.