[wp-hackers] Actions in admin menus

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun Aug 27 09:48:02 GMT 2006

On Aug 26, 2006, at 10:29 AM, Sean Hickey wrote:

> Recently I was working on a plugin that had only a single
> configuration option.  To me, it seems like overkill to have to create
> a menu for just one option.

There have been some 3rd party solutions for this issue, although I
can't find them at the moment.

I've been itching for some better options-related plugin-dev
functionality, however.  The problem I see with creating a "Misc
Options" page that people can add on to, is that it's not exactly
intuitive to look there.  Misc Options is the place I look when I
can't find an option anywhere else... so it's the last place I'd look.

My problem is that creating an options page for only one option is a
lot of work for a little payoff.  What I really want is a WP core
method of quickly creating an options page.

$abcd_option_page = new WP_Options_Page('abcd');
$abcd_option_page->checkbox('Some Option', 'someoption', '1');

That sort of thing.  Obviously it can't encompass the most
complicated option pages which might need their own JavaScript or
whatever... but for most plugins, something like that would help out
plugin authors a lot.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/