[wp-hackers] So, this whole .htaccess thing...

Charles lists06 at wiltgen.net
Sat Aug 26 05:29:09 GMT 2006

>> Does WordPress really need a dependency on .htaccess?  Couldn't
>> functionality that currently requires it be done with a router
>> that handles all requests and returns the proper view(s)?
>
> How would this "router" work and how would it be more compatible
> than mod_rewrite?

I'm thinking of something like Zend Controller Rewrite Router, part of the
nascent Zend Framework.
<http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.controller.rewriterouter.html>

To me, the dependence on .htaccess seems like one of the more fragile parts
of the system.  I had to modify several lines just to put WordPress in
site.com/wp instead of site.com/wordpress, I had to add a few more lines to
support FeedBurner, and I've had to add a few hundred lines to to support
make it easier to run WordPress on non-Apache servers, would allow a new
class of "router" plug-ins to be created, etc.

-- Charles