[wp-hackers] content-type before title

Paul Mitchell wp-hackers at paul-mitchell.me.uk
Fri Aug 25 08:52:28 GMT 2006

Sean Hickey wrote:
> It'll take me a little while to track down "proof", if there is any.
> The reason for putting the content-type before the title, is because
> the title may have "unusual" characters in it, with non-standard
> encoding (Think a Japanese website, with a Japanese title).

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#spec-char-encoding

"The META declaration must only be used when the character encoding is
organized such that ASCII-valued bytes stand for ASCII characters (at
least until the META element is parsed).
/META declarations should appear as early as possible in the HEAD
element./" (emph mine)

Paul