[wp-hackers] get_settings or get_option ?

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Thu Aug 24 22:37:25 GMT 2006

Austin Matzko wrote:
> Right now, the function get_option() is an alias for get_settings().
> Are there plans eventually to make one deprecated (like get_postdata()
> is for get_post() ), or will they fork in behavior like do_action()
> and apply_filters()?  If not, why the alias in the first place?

We had get_settings() first and then as we fleshed out the api with add,
delete, and update we decided to use the term option.  We can deprecate
get_settings(), I suppose, but we'd need to change all occurrences of it
in codebase to get_option().  We still use get_settings() in a lot of
places.

Ryan