[wp-hackers] URL Re-writes for WP 'Pages' or Multiple Permalinkstructures

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Wed Aug 23 15:03:11 GMT 2006

well, first, from everything I've ever read on the search engine methods,
they couldn't care less what the 'file extension' is at the end.  given that
you CAN serve up infinite pages seemingly with .html on the end, why would
search engines even bother? ;)

second, whatever method you use, make sure it is the ONLY permalink
structure, and NOT multiple paths to the same content.  if they are SEO
obsessed, there should only be one way to a given piece of content on the
site.  multiple paths to the same content dilutes pagerank (or, identical
content dilutes pagerank) from what I've seen.

There certainly should be a way to throw .html on the end of all links, and
strip it or ignore it.  The htaccess file should be able to do this, but
that could lead to 'two paths to content' if you don't do it properly...
i.e., you need to strip the .html off before handing over to index.php, BUT
you also should FAIL if a request comes in that doesn't have .html on the
end.  Something like that.

-d