[wp-hackers] Help needed with two issues on established WP install

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Aug 23 05:54:55 GMT 2006

On Aug 23, 2006, at 1:43 AM, Dr Deviant wrote:

> One thing that bugs me a little abut the WP concept of
> your blog, and therefore not customisable? This would be the
> index.php?p=1234 as this would always work.
>
> The "nice" url structure is not the permalink is it?

You're correct in that ?p=N is the most "perma" permalink format, as
it *always* works.  Customizable permalinks are also permanent, but
the onus is on the site admin to not suddenly change the permalink
structure (or, if changing it, at least construct a mod_rewrite rule
to redirect the old requests).

So... permalinks, unless you decide to intentionally break them.

<self_promotion>
The other instance where keeping "fancy" permalinks permanent is up
to you is with editing of the post slug, after publishing a post.
Normally that'd break the old link.  I wrote a plugin [1] to address
that.  It keeps track of your slug changes on each post, and forwards
people who hit the old one.
</self_promotion>
---
[1] http://txfx.net/code/wordpress/redirect-old-slugs/