[wp-hackers] Include popular libs with a function

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 16:06:12 GMT 2006

On 8/18/06, Charles <lists06 at wiltgen.net> wrote:
> > I'd also like to see libs like Scriptaculous, Dojo, etc included.
> > It doesn't matter if WP itself never uses them.  What matters is
> > they are already there for plugin developers to use.
>
> This is a really interesting idea.  Could this be done in the form of a
> plug-in which registers these libraries in some standard way?  I'm primarily
> using the Yahoo UI Library for the style I've talked about, and I'd be happy
> to package this up in some standard way for everyone to use.

A plugin can include and register libraries to be used by other
plugins and/or themes as well. wp_register_script can be used to avoid
double loading included libraries twice. If you'd like, you can create
a bundle of all kinds of libraries for all this stuff in one plugin
and register them all, however, good luck getting every little library
and such that people want.

Personally, I'd not bother trying to push a ton of different JS
effects and helper libraries into the core All we really need is maybe
one lightweight effects library to promote some sort of consistancy
(I'd vote for moofx here, its incredibly small, lightweight, and we
already have Prototype which is an essential library in the core). I
see no need to weight down the core with 50 libraries to cover all our
bases

--
--Robert Deaton