[wp-hackers] SimplePie in WP

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:20:35 GMT 2006

On 19 Aug 2006, at 11:00, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ___/ On Fri 18 Aug 2006 01:53:37 BST, [ Robin Adrianse ] wrote : \___
>
>> On 8/17/06, Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just a quick questions about putting the two together: should I keep
>>> the fetch_rss(), wp_rss() and get_rss() functions (the latter two
>>> aren't actually called anywhere)?
>

> [Looking at nightly /]
>
> roy at BAINE:~/public_html/wordpress> grep -R wp_rss *
> wp-includes/rss.php:function wp_rss ($url, $num) {
> roy at BAINE:~/public_html/wordpress> grep -R get_rss *
> wp-includes/rss.php:function get_rss ($uri, $num = 5) { // Like get
> posts, but for RSS
>
> Seems like they may be deprecated. The Codex might shed some light
> on this.

The Codex doesn't, I'd already looked there :)

>> I take it SimplePie = http://simplepie.org/?
>>
>> Well, I'd say make new functions then just have the fetch_rss(),
>> wp_rss()
>> and get_rss() functions act as "aliases" to the new functions...
>> just make
>> sure the functionality/arguments are the same...

It'd be hard to make the return values the same (although it is
doable, albeit in a rather flawed manner, which would absolutely eat
memory), as the parsers work in very different ways.

> I wonder if SimplePie is somehow related to MagPie RSS. While I
> don't know what you try to achieve, if you want to plug in a feed,
> why not just redirect all requests to the feeds?

SimplePie 0.8, which was released back in 2004, was no more than a
set of API functions for Magpie to try and make it easier to use.
Since then, it's been a feed parser in its own right.

>>> Oh, and is anyone gonna put a log of last night's meetup on the
>>> codex?
>

> It usually gets pasted into the Wiki. The archive seemed complete
> the last time I looked. *smile*

2006-08-16 isn't up there, and there was a discussion about replacing
Magpie with it (as Magpie is now rarely updated, its support for RSS
2.0 is sketchy, yet alone any Atom 1.0 support).

- Geoffrey Sneddon