[wp-hackers] Lyceum integration

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Wed Aug 9 17:48:08 GMT 2006

Hi all -

Great multi-user, multi-blog, multi-domain capabilities have always
been  one of Movable  Type's biggest strengths over  WordPress.  WP-
MU and Lyceum add these  capabilities to WordPress (it seems that
Lyceum does so in a smarter way,  without creating a new set of
tables for  each new  blog).

Not having followed its development, I'm curious why Lyceum is
basically a WP fork. Why weren't these  capabilities simply  added to
WordPress? For those of us working in education, large organizations,
and hosting businesses, it would be a huge boon to be able to have
just ONE WP installation, without having to deploy forked projects
that might not stay current  with WP trunk.

I'm sure there are good reasons for the forks. What are they?

http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/
http://mu.wordpress.org/

Thanks,
Scot