[Spam] Re: [wp-hackers] DB connections

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Tue Aug 8 09:56:45 GMT 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 1:25 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Aubrey Kilian wrote:
>> Anyway, the article basically goes on to say that a method called
>> "Lazy Loading" should be used to only create a connection to the
>> mysql
>> database if a query is actually executed against the database.  With
>> the current way that wordpress works, that would be every single page
>> load.
>
> The patch doesn't look bad. I think something like this is already
> in the MU db class.

It's possible some plugins use the wpdb class to connect to a
different database with different username/password.  For backward
compatibility in such a case (albeit edgy), we'd need to instantiate
with the db constants rather than with the nicer looking no argument
method that the patch [1] uses.

But that would mean storing the arguments passed to wpdb in some
local variables, multiplying the number of places db username/
passwords are stored.  Good/Bad/Doesn't matter?

Ticket: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3012

Michael

[1] (from Aubrey Kilian's link) http://jpipes.com/source/wordpress-
lazy-load.patch