[wp-hackers] New Default Theme For 2.1

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:58:19 GMT 2006

On 8/7/06, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/06, Charles <lists06 at wiltgen.net> wrote:
> > > To me, that thread is an entirely different discussion, on how to
> > > make a theme that should not go into the core. Its an interesting
> > > concept, no doubt, but I have doubts as to how complete it will be,
> > > and I think that the whole thing is too much bloat for the core.
> >
> > Well, which is it?  Incomplete, or too bloated?   :^)
>
> Both. Not that it won't make a great plugin, but its just too much for the core.

Sorry for the self-reply, I hit send by accident.

The thing about a theme to customize itself with colors and this and
that is that, when a user wants to make their theme truly unique by
breaking out of what the theme can do, we have a whole new support
issue on our hands, one that the support forums and probably half the
people on this list can't or won't stand to deal with. This theme runs
us into the same problem that Kubrick 2 in the core would, if you want
to do more than what CSS can do to the theme, change how the XHTML is
structurally, you have to swim through a jungle of mess and code, and
the way I see it there simply isn't a way to keep this theme as
customizable as it can be while maintaining the ability for the them
to make sense to an ordinary user when they try to edit it. So, like I
said before, great idea for a plugin/customizable theme, poor idea for
the core.

--
--Robert Deaton