[wp-hackers] newbie - static pages as Home, and Categorized

Christopher J. Hradil chradil at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 16:37:05 GMT 2006

you're (*hopefully*) going to get this email twice, there has been some kind
of problem with the wp mailing list server over the past week and messages
have been either not showing up or taking days to come through, so I cc'd
your personal address to be sure you receive the response.

out of order -
2) Pages can't have categories, there's been extensive discussion on this
topic if you review the mailing list archives, it's not worth going over
here, but that's the answer in a nutshell. Folks have come up with various
plugins/hacks and workarounds to accomplish the effect, you'll need to take
a look at the -hackers list archive for the details.

1) This is the easy one. there are a number of options to accomplish this,
there are a number of plugins available that will provide this
functionality, the process is also documented at
http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#WordPress_as_a_CMS (including a link to one
of the static home page plugins), check out
http://wp-plugins.net/ for more on the plugins available. the static page
plugins are scattered across a number of categories there depending on
specific functionality, etc.

there's also some really great information to get you started at -
http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Lessons

....chris

Christopher J. Hradil
chradil at comcast.net