[wp-hackers] Questions on execute-pings.php...

Angsuman Chakraborty angsuman at taragana.com
Tue Apr 25 06:38:00 GMT 2006

> Now some other folks have had their fingers in the code and I don't
know what it's doing.

At this point it is simply calling the execute-pings in a convoluted (network error prone) and slower way without any visible benefits (unless you are relying on 0.1 timeout of socket connection to kick in and fail the process occasionally). Additionally the spawn method (which isn't really spawning anything) is also called from admin interface in the footer. It simply looks like a worse solution as it stands today.

Also there is the question as to why it is not checking for post_date before issuing pingbacks and trackbacks. Pingbacks cannot be verified until the blog is actually published and visible on site.

I would think a better a flexible solution would be to plug pingback, trackback, enclosure and pings to publish_post action event. The code requires some refactoring.

Thoughts?

Best,
Angsuman