[wp-hackers] AJAX / JS libraries

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 21:07:08 GMT 2006

On 4/23/06, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I'd love to start using Prototype and Scriptaculous in more
> places in the admin and even have it available to themes. Getting rid
> of Sack would be great.

+1 on prototype and the removal of sack

I'm iffy on the thought of Scriptaculous. Scriptaculous is relatively
huge, and after the addition of TinyMCE I'm not sure if we should be
willing to add another huge chunk of javascript. I personally would
like to see something like moo.fx, which is beautiful and tiny (3KB)

> We ought to have a set of core PHP functions to handle javascript
> includes. Sort of like a wrapper for
> add_action(is_admin()?'admin_head':'wp_head', $callback) where
> $callback cannot be registered twice and known dependencies can be
> handled (e.g. if Scriptaculous, include Prototype).

+1

> Another possibility is to write a gzip compressor that concatenates
> all of the requested js libraries and compresses them. This would
> reduce bandwidth in most cases.
> script src="wp-includes/js/wp_js.php?prototype+scriptaculous"

-1, because of the following caveat

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com