[wp-hackers] a plugin of a theme's own

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:04:17 GMT 2005

There is no straightforward way in PHP to choose which function gets
declared other than to declare them in order, which is why the plugin
files load first, they can override anything in
pluggable-functions.php or potentially in theme function files if the
theme functions are properly checked (if(function_exists(...)))

On 9/19/05, Trevor Turk <trevorturk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> After reading this:
>
> http://boren.nu/archives/2005/08/30/commit-this/
>
> In particular, this part: "Themes can now provide
> their own plugin. If a functions.php file resides in
> the active theme's template directory, that file is
> loaded after plugins are loaded. This allows themes to
> provide their own custom functions and create their
> own options page in the admin UI. Envelope pushing
> themes such as K2 will benefit from this."
>
> I'm wondering if any thought has been given to
> potential conflicts between plugins and then plugins a
> theme might provide in the optional functions.php
> file.
>
> My thinking is that one might want to override a
> function provided by a theme with a plugin, so
> functions loaded via plugins should take precedence
> over functions loaded via themes.
>
> However, I can see why one might go the other way with
> it.
>
> Just Curious,
> - Trevor

--Robert Deaton