[wp-hackers] Separation of Application Logic from

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 17:13:40 GMT 2005

On 03/09/05, Michel Valdrighi <michelv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please take a layman's point of view for a minute, and open the
> default theme's sidebar.php.
> Come back and tell us how intelligible it is.

Firstly, I'd like to see a version of the sidebar.php template using
Smarty that's so much clearer.

Secondly, the end user shouldn't ever see the Smarty templates for the
admin. Only the WP devs, and they're certainly not laymen. It's not
about making things as simple as possible for those without an
understanding of PHP, that would be misintepreting our target audience
here.

But lets think about the big picture for a second. WordPress has been
in progress for years now. The original WP core is old, and it shows
in a lot of places. In my opinion, WordPress needs major refactoring,
seperating out the distinct layers of database, then logic, then
display (a kind of MVC setup). This project is an attempt to remove
the display code from the logic code, and it's a great idea. Keeping
all the markup for the admin in one place will save a lot of time in
the long run. So lets not discard it completely. On the other hand,
I'm not advocating a removal of every last line of PHP from the
templates: IMO, logic, to an extend, is a useful part of templating.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net