[wp-hackers] XHTML Strict compliant replacement for target=_new

Michel Valdrighi michelv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:42:17 GMT 2005

On 10/26/05, Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com> wrote:

> I'd prefer telling people about a useful feature over
> catering to their ignorance. Still, being a champion of the user, I want
> to give them the choice of how to open new windows, not restrict that
> choice.

There's at least one situation where you need to restrict that choice
: the client who commissions the website says so.
You could argue on and on about "our users simply need to be told to
right-click and Open in New Window" or "users hate new windows!" but
in the end that won't change much things.

So, while it is agreed on that forcing a new window for a link is bad,
there's no benefit in removing that choice in the Links admin area.

--
Michel Valdrighi
Devéloppeur Web Intraordinaire