[wp-hackers] The next release.

ifelse wordswithstyle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 13:55:01 GMT 2005

> "Please excuse my somewhat limited linguistic skills but I don't
understand you!! why is it a personal offense to you when said that its not
hard to implement? I don't know about Skippy's plugin but that hack backs up
all of the database with the "mysqldump". what's hard in that?"
Partly by the very fact that you're can't rely on passthru and thus
mysqldump; partly because, as a developer you should be thinking of the
means as well as the ends i.e. different delivery methods (email, download
etc), large table sizes (and thus execution time), progress indicator for
multiple tables, backup of core and optional tables... I could go on.

Skippy/Owen have done a fabulous job with their plugin and their efforts
shouldn't be taken lightly.

On 10/26/05, Amit Gupta <wp at igeek.info> wrote:

> Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com> wrote:
> | That script doesn't integrate well with the admin and uses passthru()
> | calls to execute shell commands on the server, which is not recommended
> | since it doesn't work on every server.
>  yes, it uses passthru() but I didn't know it doesn't work with every
> Linux/Unix
> server, since I've it running on 2 Linux servers & worked fine at first
> attempt,
> no problems at all.
>  | In what way do you suppose that the options in that script are better
> | organized than those in Skippy's backup plugin? For novice users,
> | wp-db-backup is much more succinct, and doesn't allow them to execute
> | arbitrary (therefore possibly corrosive) queries against their database.
>  I'm not comparing the two plugins, both work well for me & I use both of
> them
> on different blogs. what I meant when I suggested a look at that hack was
> that
> in Skippy's plugin, everything's on one page, while in that hack,
> different
> functions were on different tabs & a bit more organised. Makes the novice
> user
> feel comfortable when he sees all the options at top in the sub-menu
> instead of
> scrolling down for different options.
>  Its really a personal preference I'd say, but then, I didn't say that we
> need to do
> that, its just that it looked better to me & I suggested a look at it.
>  | I take personal offense to the idea that a robust backup script is not
> | hard to implement.
>  Please excuse my somewhat limited linguistic skills but I don't
> understand
> you!! why is it a personal offense to you when said that its not hard to
> implement? I don't know about Skippy's plugin but that hack backs up all
> of
> the database with the "mysqldump". what's hard in that? yes ofcourse a
> compatibility check has to be done whether the operating system & PHP
> (for older versions?) will support it properly or not.

Phu
http://ifelse.co.uk