[wp-hackers] The next release.

Amit Gupta wp at igeek.info
Wed Oct 26 13:42:18 GMT 2005

Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com> wrote:
|  That script doesn't integrate well with the admin and uses passthru()
|  calls to execute shell commands on the server, which is not
recommended
|  since it doesn't work on every server.

yes, it uses passthru() but I didn't know it doesn't work with every
Linux/Unix
server, since I've it running on 2 Linux servers & worked fine at first
attempt,
no problems at all.

|  In what way do you suppose that the options in that script are better
|  organized than those in Skippy's backup plugin?  For novice users,
|  wp-db-backup is much more succinct, and doesn't allow them to execute
|  arbitrary (therefore possibly corrosive) queries against their
database.

I'm not comparing the two plugins, both work well for me & I use both of
them
on different blogs. what I meant when I suggested a look at that hack
was that
in Skippy's plugin, everything's on one page, while in that hack,
different
functions were on different tabs & a bit more organised. Makes the
novice user
feel comfortable when he sees all the options at top in the sub-menu
instead of
scrolling down for different options.

Its really a personal preference I'd say, but then, I didn't say that we
need to do
that, its just that it looked better to me & I suggested a look at it.

|  I take personal offense to the idea that a robust backup script is
not
|  hard to implement.

Please excuse my somewhat limited linguistic skills but I don't
understand
you!! why is it a personal offense to you when said that its not hard to
implement? I don't know about Skippy's plugin but that hack backs up all
of
the database with the "mysqldump". what's hard in that? yes ofcourse a
compatibility check has to be done whether the operating system & PHP
(for older versions?) will support it properly or not.

Amit Gupta
http://igeek.info/  ||  http://blog.igeek.info/
http://blog.igeek.info/wp-plugins/igsyntax-hiliter