[wp-hackers] Google Web Accelerator

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Wed Oct 26 04:23:14 GMT 2005

_____/ On Tue 25 Oct 2005 16:56:16 BST, [Podz] wrote : \_____

> I'm asking only because it may (probably will) be asked in the forums.
> Does this application have any consequences at all for people,
> especially those that use private posts / user levels etc.
> Can every possible fear be allayed ?

There should be greater fear among users who have installed spyware or
'legitimate spyware' such as toolbars that retain page history and
'call home'.

I recently discovered that the Alexa/A9/Amazon toolbar leads to fetching of
potentially any page which was ever viewed by the Web surfer. I happened to
delete a so-called hidden page and noticed a 404 from Alexa. Let us not forget
that the Web Archive (Wayback Machine) is run by that same alliance.

The last thing you want is hidden pages in cache or even in SE indices. I once
bumped upon the entire Palm data of an MIT sysadmin and informed him
immediately (I mirror my data on some Webspace too). Thus, protected post and
such _must_ be password-protected or cookie-dependent, in which case
Google Web
Accelerator can never ever touch them.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
  5:10am  up 61 days 15:19,  5 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.54, 0.60