[wp-hackers] The next release.

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Oct 23 21:24:50 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Podz wrote:
>
>> There are users - not geeks, not coders, just regular people - who may
>> not like what appears after clicking "Upgrade" - and given that those
>> people have been WP users and supporters, I do not see it as being a
>> Bad Thing to be honest and open about what has changed.
>

> In the redesign of wordpress.org screenshots are emphasized a lot more,
> so people should know that things have changed a lot going in if they're
> old WP users.

Expecting people to make the connection that wordpress.org has been
redesigned to coincide with a re-design of the WordPress product which
they download is probably not the best course of action.

Sure, people can look at the screenshots, but since the admin interface
has not significantly changed all year, most people will likely breeze
past all the art to get to the download.

Podz's suggestion is a good one.  I suggest an even more radical option:
an explanatory paragraph, with a checkbox that says "I understand".
This will go a long way toward making sure that people are (as) fully
aware of the implications of the upgrade (as we can make them).

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35