[wp-hackers] Re: XHTML Strict compliant replacement for target=_new

Martin Geisler mgeisler at mgeisler.net
Sat Oct 22 22:46:27 GMT 2005

"Amit Gupta" <wp at igeek.info> writes:

> no problem. also, someone raised the issue to not fiddle with
> standards & that they didn't mean validating the data & then
> manipulating it via DOM by adding the "target" attribute. so the
> function that I gave should satisfy him as well, as using "onclick"
> event handler is perfectly within standards & so is using the
> javascript "window.open". :)

Standards is one thing, polite behaviour is something else... most
users I know hate it when sites spawn new browser windows for general
links.  I think new windows should only be used for small images, help
boxes, or similar things where it would be nice to have access to both
the original page and the new page.  In all other situations, I want
to decide.

And please note that the validators simply check the syntax of your
(X)HTML --- they generally cannot advice you as to what makes a good
webpage.  So just because it's valid syntax, it doesn't mean that it
is a good idea.

It's like saying that all C code is good as long as the compiler
accepts it --- everybody who has coded C would know that there's a big
difference between good and bad code, even if both compile.

--
Martin Geisler                                     GnuPG Key: 0x7E45DD38

PHP Exif Library      |  PHP Weather             |  PHP Shell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://mgeisler.net/
Read/write Exif data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser