[wp-hackers] Cheap webhosts (was: Re: Referrer Spam)

Martin Geisler mgeisler at mgeisler.net
Wed Oct 12 07:32:04 GMT 2005

Jason Bainbridge <jbainbridge at gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/11/05, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> Not my host *frown*. Consider yourself to be fortunate if you are
>> allowed SSH/Telnet access. The best I can ever do when wishing to
>> invoke commands is use tricks <
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/12/cpanel-terminal-hack/
>
> Uhm may I suggest that you consider switching hosts? SSH is kind of
> standard these days, I certainly won't consider a host unless they
> provide SSH access, [...]

It's the same in Denmark where I come from: most cheap webhosts also
don't want to give you SSH access. :-(  So for me it was a big luxus
when I got it for my site with a US host.

If you have PHP you might find my PHP Shell script useful for simple
things: http://mgeisler.net/php-shell/.  It's very simple, using just
the standard proc_open() command in PHP.

--
Martin Geisler                                     GnuPG Key: 0x7E45DD38

PHP Exif Library      |  PHP Weather             |  PHP Shell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://mgeisler.net/
Read/write Exif data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser