[wp-hackers] Referrer Spam [s]

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Oct 10 13:31:17 GMT 2005

_____/ On Mon 10 Oct 2005 13:31:07 BST, [John Ha [c]] wrote : \_____

That's very informative. Thanks for that. Earlier today I attempted to
re-direct
spammy requests, but the spammers will easily find a way around, e.g. simply
selecting a different entry point, thus making it a cat-and-mouse game.

Some time in the past the error logs came up with repeated attempts to take
advantage of PHP-Nuke exploits (READ: get admin privileges via loopholes).
Consequently, I systematically re-directed fishy URL's for all
installations to
http://schestowitz.com/hacker.html .

On the contrary, the issue with WordPress-targetted attacks -- the ones
which I
mentioned above -- is that genuine pages get requested by a wide range of IP
addresses (not Tonga). By re-directing as above real visitors can be
obstructed
or offended at worst.

> Try: http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/
>
> John Ha.

That seems like a sound solution. Fear the day of global gigabit Ethernet
reaching the wrong hands...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  2:15pm  up 46 days  2:29,  10 users,  load average: 1.09, 0.98, 0.76