[wp-hackers] Theme development and hooks.

Unteins (Jason Goldsmith) unteins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:42:11 GMT 2005

This thread goes way back to April, but I am catching up on the
hackers list (only 2331 more emails to read, not bad considering I
started with over 6000 :)

Anyway, there may have been a solution posited later on that I
haven't reached yet, but if not, here's my input (as I am currently
struggling with my own plugin Live+Press as well as 3rd party plugins)

I think the solution isn't to try and automagically guess what may or
may not be the valid and correct markup and CSS for the theme but
rather to make a nice configuration setup so the user can input the
right information manually. Yeah, I know, that's not a "user
friendly" solution, but it is the only viable one. It is too easy for
a user to create a bizarre layout or to not include something or
whatever to bork the lookup tables.

If you really want automagical plugin output, you could parse the
active theme or somesuch when the configuration page loads. To be
perfectly honest, and I am leaning in this direction with Live+Press,
it might also be good to make clean, output with no markup, or at
least output functions that can take variables for input.

My layouts are messed up because of bad plugin output (my own
included) and are nearly impossible to style correctly.

Which also reminds me, plugin developers should be careful when
puking CSS directly into the html file. It is MUCH better imo (again,
changes to Live+Press are in order, so I am an offender here as well)
to simply tell users to add the appropriate css link or import
directive to their templates. The big problem with all of the
automatic CSS imbeds from plugins is that plugin a can stomp over
plugin b's CSS and then the layout is unfixable.