[wp-hackers] WordPress 2 and Client Side Scripting

Theodor Ramisch theodor_ramisch at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 25 20:59:25 GMT 2005

Hi there,

I just tried out the WordPress 2 Beta 1 and the new
interface style looks very nice. :)

Then I looked a little bit around in the source code
to figure out how the AJAX request and fade effects
were realized.

Unfortunately I had to see that you are using custom
classes to do such "common" effects. That makes
plugin development harder if you have to deal
with them on plugin options pages for example.

Why not rely on well known, stable libraries
like script.aculo.us and prototype? There are
a lot of developers who already worked with
them and adapted to functions like "$" which
replaces the document.getElementById.

So it would be very nice if future versions
of WordPress ship script.aculo.us and
prototype with them.

Best regards,

  Theodor Ramisch