[wp-hackers] 2-3 plugins (The Big Kahuna ... Richer Plug-inManagement)

Amit Gupta wp at igeek.info
Mon Nov 14 11:19:56 GMT 2005

David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
|  Elixir is a project by Firas Durri, Robert Deaton and Andrew
|  Sutherland (wp-elixir.com) that is setting out to be the ultimate
|  plugin manager for WordPress. It will basically duplicate all the
|  features available to package managers like RPM and That Gentoo One
|  (which I can't remember the name of right now :))
|
|  Along with it's plugin counterpart, Alchemy, Elixir will allow for
|  one-click install of plugins (and themes?), allow for dependancies
|  etc. (i.e., WP-DB-Backup could require WP-Cron), as well as
|  automagically handling updates.
|
|  Oh, and it'll do away with chmod, too. :)

yeah, that certainly looks promising the way it has been touted as, but
they are still working on it & I don't think that its even in a beta
stage,
or if it is, then its a private beta since they don't have any more info
on
the website!! :)

>From the looks of the things, this is not gonna be out(as a beta or
final
product) anytime before WP1.6 is out as stable!! Besides, we are
discussing
about the plugins that can be bundled with WP1.6, no? And Elixir is
gonna
be a plugin repository!!

btw, since we have an official plugin repository at wp-plugins.org, why
not
have it integrated with WordPress? Users can have a tab in the admin
section
where they can browse the available plugins(via RSS or XMLRPC) and
install
the ones they like directly from within that interface? Sort of what
Dr.Dave's
plugin manager does & what Elixir is aimed at. This can be a nice
addition
& wp-themes.org can be integrated like that as well.

Amit Gupta
http://igeek.info/  ||  http://blog.igeek.info/
http://blog.igeek.info/wp-plugins/igsyntax-hiliter