[wp-hackers] Looking for quick input on creating new action hooks...

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat May 28 05:21:33 GMT 2005

Or, another idea would be applying filters to the_content and adding your
content in (provided you don't mind it being inside the post div). I do have
to agree with Matt on adding more hooks, we still have the unresolved issue
with theme authors not putting the post hooks in, but that's a whole other
arguement.

On 5/27/05, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> David Chait wrote:
> > ...Or something along those lines. The concept is actions that (in
> > future templates, or added to current ones) would execute inside the
> > post DIV, one right at the start, one right at the end. I'm working on
> > plugins that allow you to insert custom content into The Loop without
> > editing the template, and figure why have people call a custom function,
> > when they could just have do_action('wp_post_out_end'); Y'know what I
> > mean? Seems like sprinkling new action hook locations is more useful
> > than adding another function call directly because:
>
> Even with the simple hooks we have already in the templates, lots of
> plugin authors have had to deal with the hooks not being there because a
> theme doesn't contain them. It's also a slippery slope to go down, in
> theory we could have a hook between every HTML element on the page, but
> that'd be pretty silly.
>
> A better solution might be...
>
> Scan the plugin file for function definitions, then scan the templates
> and warn the user before actually deactivating the plugin that there are
> still function calls in their templates.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
> http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com