[wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Terrence Wood tdw at funkive.com
Tue May 24 00:12:35 GMT 2005

Gabe's recommendation to use popup's is questionable to be sure.
However, this does not invalidate any of the other recommendations he
makes. Rather than discount his paper in it's entirety, evaluate each
recommendation on it's own merits.

Ron, I find your comparsion to engineers designing cash registers
amusing. The engineers from your example are, in the case of Wordpress,
the developers not the usability folks. The role of usability analysis
is to bridge the gap between people who make things in the lab and
people who use things in the real world through informed observation
and decision making.

WP fares reasonably well for usability compared to other OS efforts,
yet there remains plenty of room for improvement. For example, in the
manage posts screen:
   * What is the relevance of the id column when using permalinks, is it
needed?
   * Why are there three buttons (view, edit, delete) for every post,
when you can only perform one action at a time on only one post?
   * Why do some links dump you into the live blog, while other perform
admin functions?
   * Why do some buttons have double borders, some are flat, and others
are text links?
   * Why does the page layout differ when there is one result (i.e.
comments shown) vs. many results (no comments) when filtering the list?
   * Why is the main navigation a mixture of task orientation ("do
something") and functional orientation ("work in this area")?

All of these questions can be answered by usability engineering or, if
you prefer a different label, interaction design. Some are visual
design issues, while others are software engineering issues. They all
impact on usability and regardless of what label you use, at the very
least there should be some sort of deliberate  and informed effort in
addressing these issues in WP prior to the next milestone release.

regards Terrence Wood.