[wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Mon May 23 14:02:45 GMT 2005

David House wrote:

> If you're looking for personal opinions, I think we should start work
> on 1.6. Prioritise the front end overhaul (so work on the usability
> enhancements pointed out by Gabriel White and others).

Having read that piece, there was a lot of questionable advice in there.
I hope the intent isn't to implement it all just because it came from
someone claiming to be an expert.  Beware "usability experts", they are
much like the engineers who design cash registers for your local grocery
store.  They spend all their time in the lab, and don't actually shop in
grocery stores.  For example, the elimination of pop-up windows
(regardless of their purpose) has been a major usability feature added
to browsers at the direct request of *users*.  The paper submitted here
was in favor of making a step backward, by adding such abominations to
WordPress.  That most assuredly would detract from, rather than enhance
the user experience.

- Ron