[wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sun May 22 18:39:02 GMT 2005

Michael Hampton wrote:

>>- mod_rewrite defaults
>>

>Is the problem with mod_rewrite rules because of mod_rewrite, or WP?
>My understanding of this problem is that it's WP getting these
>"wrong," not mod_rewrite.
>
>I don't like the idea of doing "presets" for permalink structures; I
>much prefer fixing WP so that it can handle more permalink structures;
>preferably any structure that has a good chance to uniquely identify a
>post. (Barring a blogger making two posts with the same slug on the
>same day, which has happened.)

That's not necessarily true.  While some structures could be improved by
tweaking WP, some others are due to quirks in mod_rewrite.  Check out
Ryan's two different plugins to get /category/ permalinks working on
quirky mod_rewrite implementations.  Of course, there's nothing
preventing us from recommending default presets and improving the
WordPress code as well...

>>- Pages
>>

>Pages are pretty much the same as posts as far as the database is
>concerned; why not just treat them equally?

Pages are designating using `post_status` which can be 'publish',
'draft', 'private', 'static' or 'object' according to my database.  We
don't have any way to do private drafts yet.  Maybe we should have
'static-draft'.

>> - "submit draft only" authors
>>  I can think of lots of cool uses for this functionality, such as blogs that
>> allow guest posters without having to explicitly choose authors ahead of
>> time.  We need things to be as streamlined and easy as possible for this
>> use.  We need better management and presentation of "please approve" drafts.
>

>We do this already. Level 1 users can only submit drafts.

Yes, we do it,  but it needs improving.