[wp-hackers] 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sun May 22 01:54:31 GMT 2005

I personally think that development should head on to 1.6, with usability
coming first and the things listed on the Codex afterwards (updated
usability is not enough on its own to constitute a new release imho). Not to
say that development and bugfixing to the 1.5 branch should be discontinued,
but focus should shift to adding new features, and bugfix releases should
come as needed.

And a question about the Version 1.6 page on the codex. Is that supposed to
be RFC 3229 instead of RPC 3229. Not much came up for RPC 3229. There's also
some talk about the same thing, so maybe someone knows?

On 5/21/05, Michael D Adams <mikea at turbonet.com> wrote:

> The usability changes, which I would vote for as first priority, seem
> a 1.6 thing to me (perhaps this is what you intended with your first
> email). Naturally, the items listed on the [[Version 1.6]] page on
> Codex, which look pretty hot, but I'd say come second to usability,
> are also 1.6 material. So we've got a fairly clear idea what would
> be involved in 1.6 and its development, but when you say
>
> > a 1.5.2 release [would focus] on incremental changes and
> > improvements to the very-solid 1.5 base
>
> I, at least, am unclear on exactly what that would entail. What
> sorts of things would be taken up in further 1.5 development?
>
> mdawaffe
>
> On May 21, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Matthew Mullenweg wrote:
>
> > I wanted some community feedback on where we should go next with
> > development. There are basically two directions we could go right
> > now, one is to a 1.5.2 release which focuses on incremental changes
> > and improvements to the very-solid 1.5 base, or we could start
> > working on adding some major functionality changes for a 1.6
> > release. (I realize this could happen at the same time, I don't
> > think we should branch development.)
> >
> > There has been some excellent usability feedback has come in from
> > Gabriel White's paper, some upcoming feedback from my friend Jane
> > Wells, and WordPress will be a project at the next FLOSS usability
> > sprint at the end of July. I think there is lots of room for
> > improvement in the administration interface and improving that
> > experience could definitely be a focus of development for a good
> > while. Improvements in usability and inline help would also ease
> > the burden on the support forums.
> >
> > There are some pretty ambitious things on the table for 1.6:
> >
> > http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_1.6
> >
> > (Note, if we call it 1.6 doesn't that break the fibbonaci sequence?)
> >
> > As much more core code will be touched it's likely that
> > compatibility with some things will be broken and there will need
> > to be a long testing period.
> >
> > Anyway I'm curious to hear thoughts about either direction.
> >
> > --
> > Matt Mullenweg

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com