[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Andy Skelton skeltoac at hotmail.com
Thu May 19 21:50:21 GMT 2005

>From: "Denis de Bernardy" <denis at semiologic.com>
>Technically, and as point out in a previous message, feed: is not a
>protocol.

Agreed. However, "feed" is also not properly a MIME type like your Word
document example. All feeds do not have a unified format.

A feed is probably best described as "a URL that serves snapshots of a
flowing channel of atomic particles (articles)". Mailto: says, "what follows
is an email address." Feed: says, "what follows is a feed." Though it may be
transported over http, a feed is not a web page.

That concludes the philosphic portion of this letter. My opinion is that any
user who cares about feeds should be able to digest some documentation and
alter their feed links according to taste.

Until the proposed feed: spec takes hold in more mainstream apps, we are
really only arguing about taste. And we should all be wise enough to know
better.

Andy Skelton
http://www.skeltoac.com
http://blogsoftheday.com