[wp-hackers] feed:http://address problem

Mihailo Stefanovic mikis at mikis.org
Thu May 19 11:33:57 GMT 2005

> Matthew wrote:
>
> Er, what does any of that have to do with Mihailo's question? WordPress
> still works under HTTP, and it still works for people who aren't called
> Matt.

Well, it somewhat does. Because https:// support is about only thing I see
as "advantage" of using feed:http(s) vs feed:// . And I agree with Roy, I
fail to see any reasony why Wordpress feeds should be served via https. Even
if you absolutely need to do so, you can modify it to feed:https for
yourself, and I guess those who need it will know how to do it.

While we are at proposed, not even submitted standards, let me propose
another one -- feeds:// , for secure feeds ;)

Now, seriously:

> Owen wrote:
>
> Can we throw an explanatory post out on the dev blog feed ("What is the
> feed: protocal and why you should care?") and be done with this issue?

I think that only "proper" way to handle this issue would be to add a
checkbox to WP administrative interface, something like:

[ ] Use feed: prefix for feed URI's

Or something like that. You may even turn it on by default, but please at
least put an explanation *in WP interface itself*, because not many people
follow dev blogs, Codex or mailing lists for that matter (I do, and somehow
I missed it).