[wp-hackers] Mailman-style Blog Archiving

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon May 2 15:51:52 GMT 2005

Quoting Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net>:

> We already have "full context" in comment anchors on a single post
> becomes awkward, as the entire page needs to be loaded and displayed...
> A single comment display would be extremely useful as the discussion
> continues and possibly evolves over time.
> (As I said, my biggest complaint is loading an entire thread of comments
> when I want to only refer to a single one)
>
> I envision the "single comment display" being a template, just like (or
> perhaps part of) single.php.  Individual blog admins could style their
> single comment / post template as they want.  If you want "full
> context", use that.  If you prefer more granularity, use that.
> The only requirement is that granular comment display requires ?c=X
> querystring support.

I strongly agree on the point of flat structure and lack of heirarchy. In
principle, WordPress has a very flat chronological structure (as one would
expect from a blog), but this verges the impractical in large discussions. I
installed PHP-Nuke yesterday and it seems miles ahead of WordPress because its
structure is very clear, comments can be nested, moderated and even trigger
events. Since its is also GPL'd, perhaps its worth importing and re-using some
bits?

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz