[wp-hackers] Degrading gracefully with deactivated plugins?

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Tue Mar 29 00:46:32 GMT 2005

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> How can you get around having to pack the plugins with your theme unless
> you provide some sort of "is_function" wrapper or something to degrade
> gracefully?  If you want it to work out of the box, you have no option
> but to include the plugins, making sure that they will be overridden if
> the user already has them.

As a counter opinon, I think it's perfectly okay for themes to simply
contain a README with explicit requirements, and detailed instructions.
  Poorly documented themes won't get much (positive) visibility, while
well-documented themes will naturally rise to the top.

Not every plugin can be made to work with every theme out of the box,
and not every theme can be made to work with every plugin combination
out of the box.  We don't need to do _everything_ for our users.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35