[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-svn] [2476] trunk/wp-admin/quicktags.js:

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sun Mar 27 23:52:26 GMT 2005

David House wrote:
> But surely that hanging our heads in resignation and going with
> presentational markup that won't do any good for the semantic web at
> large,

That is true. Making incorrect <em>/<strong> easy won't do any good
either. The difference is that overused presentational markup doesn't do
any *harm*.

> why not try and educate new WordPress users in how the web is
> different? It doesn't need to be an involved discussion at all, just
> mention something like 'To emphasise your words, use the "em"
> quicktag. To use a citation, use the "cite" quicktags around the
> address of your citation.

Citation? <cite>http://you.mean.like.this/?</cite> Oops, not quite.

"Like this, perhaps?" <cite>Albert Einstein</cite> asked. No, that's not
correct either. (Very smart people like Mark Pilgrim and Ian Hickson
might think it's correct; but several hundred years of typographical
convention, and many hundreds of millions of installed Web browsers,
make it wrong.)

Wall Street Journal</cite>, p. 23? Nope, that's wrong too (for a similar
reason).

<cite> is deceptively difficult to explain.

> These may be presented the same but it's still important to make the
 > distinction

But, see, that wouldn't be telling the truth. We're all hoping that one
day there will be user agents that make the distinction between <em> and
Web-service exceptions) they don't exist yet.

WordPress developers could begin encouraging a distinction between
<cite> and the other italic elements by putting something like cite,
cite:link {color: #006; background: transparent;} in the style sheets
for all its shipped-by-default themes. You could encourage the
developers of other Weblog software, popular Wikis, and so on to do the
same. (Unfortunately browser vendors probably wouldn't participate, lest
<cite> disappear on pages with forest-green backgrounds.) Gradually the
reader and author populations would build up awareness that <cite> is
WordPress is rewarding people for using it by automatically searching
for matching titles to link to on B&N/IMDB/whatever.)

Distinguishing the other semantic elements may not be attractively
possible. For example, I'd like to be able to suggest that <strong>
could be made a different color too, but then people would think it was
a link, because too many badly-designed Web sites have already used
:link {font-weight: bold; color: something; text-decoration: none}.

> Of course, links could be provided to more in-depth discussion if
 > required.

Which, regrettably, people won't read, because they don't care.

> Display a couple of paragraphs to that effect on the Successful
> Installation screen, then I think these sorts of issues will start to
> disappear.

If I had a dollar for every time someone had suggested that
explanations/preferences/warnings about their own pet hobbyhorse should
be presented to users when they install Mozilla, I'd be a rich man --
and people still wouldn't read them, because they still wouldn't care.
Same thing applies to WordPress, only moreso, because WordPress *boasts*
of having a five-minute installation
<http://wordpress.org/docs/installation/5-minute/>.

> And for the record, I don't think that any rich-text editor that tries
> to ape a word processor will ever work in conjunction with the
> semantic web.

That may be true, but it won't be the word-processor-like editors that
cede existence. Humans like them too much.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/