[wp-hackers] Degrading gracefully with deactivated plugins?

Dan Thrue rummanddan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 22:49:17 GMT 2005

Without reading the entire thread, wouldnt a solution be, that plugin
developers started using do_action apply_filter in the templates
instead of our own functions?

Just a thought, i suggested the same thing to Michael for Kubrick v2,
to predefine some hooks in the theme...

Lets take the former example:

snip:
> <?php if(function_exists('wp_cc_output_metadata') { wp_cc_output_metadata() } >
>
> <?php _cpf('wp_cc_output_metadata') ?>

Instead we would have a hook like:
<?php do_action('wp_output_metadata'); ?>

and the plugin would apply to it as usual:
<?php add_action('wp_output_metadata', 'wp_cc_output_metadata'); ?>

I think this is a fair and good discussion on how to make the cleanest
and most "friendliest" plugins...