[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-svn] [2476] trunk/wp-admin/quicktags.js:

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 24 09:02:48 GMT 2005

Mark Jaquith wrote:

> [A]lbert Holm wrote:
> >
> > As Robert pointed out in another reply, the buttons says bold and
 > > italic, and the output is strong and em. I really wonder why that is.
>
> Probably for legacy reasons.  "strong" and "em" don't really mean much
> to someone who hasn't been actively involved in making semantic websites
> recently.  So this keeps the semantic "strong" and "em" in the actual
> output, but labels them so that anyone who has used a word processor
> knows what they are for.

I know this wasn't the point of the thread, but ... Please don't do
that. That'll just result in people using <em> when they really mean
meaningless -- non-graphical UAs won't be able to tell whether they're
supposed to be emphasized or not.

<http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2004/05/02/b-and-i>

--
Matthew Thomas